Sometime around 1900 BC, Abraham was blessed with bread and wine by a holy priest and king named Melchizedek (Gen. 14:17-18). Later in about 1800 BC, Abraham’s grandson, Jacob, found an “awesome place” where he heard an incredible message from God. Jacob called that place the gate of heaven and the “House of God” (Gen. 28:17). In response to God’s wonderful message, Jacob set up a certain stone for a pillar where he poured oil on it (Gen. 28:18). The location of the stone that Jacob set up as a pillar was called God’s House (Gen. 28:22). Jacob also named that place Bethel (Gen. 28:19).
In the following 11-minute video, an archaeologist from Galilee named Eli Shukron presents a specific standing stone that he believes to be dated to the time of Abraham and Melchizedek the priest. Also in the video is Christian apologist, Frank Turek. Shukron escavated the City of David from 1995-2013. The standing stone that was discovered by Eli could very well be the actual stone that was used by Melchizedek in Melchizedek’s House of God. Shukron says the standing stone that he discovered is in an ancient worshipping area where animals were once skinned. Shukron escavated the area near Jerusalem and determined that the holy site was buried during the eighth century BC, or possibly when King Hezekiah was the king of Judah, when the king commanded the Israelites to worship at Solomon’s new temple (aka the First Temple from about 1000 BC). Shukron goes on to call his discovery of Melchizedek’s temple the “Zero Temple,” because after all, if Solomon’s temple is already called the “first” temple, then what should Melchizedek’s temple be called other than the Zero Temple?
Note: All dates are approximates for the sake of order and discussion.
In the artwork above, King/Priest Melchizedek is blessing Abraham with bread and wine.